Sunday, March 28, 2010

Food 2.0: Coleslaw for Lunch

I'm going to be honest with my readers (if there are any out there). I have to take the MCAT, the medical school entrance exam twice. What can I say? I'm not very good at standardized tests, so it usually takes two times for the test to reflect my brilliant intellect... I am telling you this for two reasons. 1) I've chosen a super fresh and easy cook book to blog from that has lots of easy salads and wraps to cut down on prep time. 2) If my blog is neglected for a few weeks it's because I've cloistered myself away with my MCAT prep books.


The cookbook for the month of April is Food 2.0: Secrets from the chef who fed Google. Charlie Ayers was hired in 1999 to feed the minds who produced the many google wonders such as gmail, google maps, calendar, my reader, blogspot, etc, that compose the infrastructure that runs my life. The first half of the book is devoted to describing how to eat sustainably and how to freshen up your cuisine; the book also pulls you in with lovely pictures of fresh food and the prepared recipes. Ayers has a great list of kitchen staples including his favorite vinegars and oils, and also salads that he always has on hand for snacks.

I'll mostly be cooking from the Grab & Go section. The section includes lots of salads, vegetable wraps, and eccentric tacos. I think I'll be eating this food as a light dinner in addition to Omega 3 fatty acid supplements to improve my brain function and raise my MCAT score. The debut recipe is Coleslaw for Lunch. I'll name a few substitutions I made up front. I couldn't find pineapple juice at Trader Joe's, so I used mango juice as the citrus component, and I substituted red wine vinegar for white wine vinegar. Finally, Trader Joe's did not have any cabbage coleslaw so I used their organic broccoli slaw which stiffer than cabbage so the salad has a similar to
texture to a jicama salad.


Coleslaw for Lunch
3 tablespoons pineapple juice, apple cider or mango juice
4 teaspoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sour cream
1 teaspoon horseradish relish
1/2 tablespoon white or red wine vinegar
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1 bag of coleslaw or broccoli slaw
or if you want to go the fresh way
1/4 head of green cabbage shredded
14 head of red cabbage shredded
2 carrots shredded

To serve on top
Cubes of Monterrey jack cheese, bacon or a cured ham, and halved cherry tomatoes

1. In a large bow, whisk together juice, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, horseradish, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add the shredded cabbage or bag of coleslaw. Toss to coat everything evenly. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
3. Serve the coleslaw topped with Monterrey jack cheese, ham, and cherry tomatoes. Eat with whole grain bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment