Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Food 2.0: Wake-Up Shake-Me-Up Power Shake

I'm committing a food blogger crime: I'm posting this recipe before I even make it. But my dear readers, I promise I will make it tomorrow morning to jump-start my Wednesday. I recently connected with my MCAT tutor who has organized my life and MCAT studying into her Google calendar. According to that calendar I am studying every night and day from now until May 16th when I get my first break. As I have no idea when I'll be going food shopping, all food blogging must be done in my spare time with any ingredients I have on hand. Hence the appearance of this smoothie. I happen to have some tasteless cantaloupe and frozen berries on hand. Not that Food 2.0 would recommend using tasteless cantaloupe, however I let my cantaloupe ripen too long and the result is cantaloupe that only tastes decent with prosciutto or in a smoothie.
This post is dedicated to Pecos, Texas and my friend from Pecos. Even though we've become estranged over the years, I'll always remember the sweetest cantaloupe I've eaten came from Pecos, Texas. I visited Pecos to watch her compete in the Miss Cantaloupe Pageant which was an experience in itself. If only every cantaloupe tasted like the one from the town where the first rodeo happened...

Wake-Up Shake-Me-Up Power Shake

1/2 cup strong brewed black tea, chilled
1/2 rice milk (I used regular cow's milk)
1/4 fresh orange juice
1 small banana cut into pieces
1/4 cantaloupe melon, peeled, seeded, and diced
2 tsp honey
1/4 cup fresh or frozen strawberries

1. The night before, prepare a batch of strong brewed black tea and let it chill overnight.
2. In the morning, put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large glass and garnish with a piece of melon if desired.

2 comments:

  1. WOOHHOOO i can finally post on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a dear friend from Pecos. Small world! Your blog continues to look great!

    ReplyDelete