Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 27: We made it to Santiago!

We finally made it to Santiago to Compostela! Jess and I were waylaid a for a few days at a town 20km from Santiago for health reasons, but we are recovered and we finally completed the first part of the pilgrimage to Santiago.

ALSO, we saw the botafumeiro, aka the massive incense burner! Someone paid for it to be swung today, either a group of Germans or the couple who celebrated their Diamond wedding anniversary at the mass.  It was amazing and I have to admit that I squealed with glee when the botafumeiro swung by my head and looked like it was going to hit the ceiling.








The entire mass of almost 1000 people (pilgrims plus tourists) applauded when the swinging came to an end. The priest scolded everyone by saying, that he hoped the applause was for the wonders of God and not for the incense burner which is not meant to be a spectacle but an act of prayer....

However, that massive swinging silver rocket full of burning coals and incense is most certainly a spectacle.

Jess and I are off tomorrow for our 75km walk to Finnisterre or the End of the World. We will come back to Santiago to spend 2 more nights here on June 10th and 11th. On that day we will get our Compostela and hug the stature of Santiago and light candles.

Wish us luck. The next time I post, Jess and I will have walked over 450 miles!

Many exclamation marks today because I am very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment