Tuesday, October 19, 2010

VOLT by Bryan Voltagio

I went to Baltimore this past weekend to visit a fellow foodie, and instead of staying in the city to enjoy the local fare we left the city...Well, we tried to to leave and make it to our reservation at VOLT at 12pm in Frederick, Maryland, but we ended up stuck for an hour in front of Howard St waiting for the Baltimore marathon runners to finish. If you're not in the food loop, VOLT is the brain child of Bryan Voltaggio, from Top Chef: Las Vegas. In 2009, VOLT received a James Beard Nomination for Best New Restaurant, however since it is located in Frederick, Maryland (ie the middle of nowhere) the price was rock bottom for four excellent courses plus a beverage pairing for each course. I can confidently say it was the best $40 I've so far spent on food.

I usually avoid taking pictures of food in restaurants because I think it's a sign of food obsession, but I made an exception for this experience. I'll just let the menu descriptions speak for the pictures.
shiitake velouté pinenut sabayon, chili oil, opal basil



tuscarora farm organic beets cherry glen farm goat cheese, upland cress


I didn't get a picture of my entree, but it was very autumnal looking.
freebird farms roasted chicken and scallop cippolini, confit potatoes,
maroon carrots, oyster mushroom

cheese course from artisanal creameries

textures of chocolate dark chocolate ganache, chocolate caramel, raw organic cocoa

THE END



1 comment: