Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 6,7,8 of the Camino

Jess with cows at 7am: leaving San Juan Ortega
 It has been a long few days without any internet. Jess and I have entered very, very rural Spain where there are no shops, only one computer per town, and really the pilgrims are the only things moving at all quickly. We stopped in Burgos and stayed all afternoon to sightsee, then we walked 10km to the neighboring town. We consider this our rest day. We have now traveled another 50 km, not all in one day of course, to Boadilla del Camino. We are on the Spanish meseta, which is wheat, wheat, and more wheat everywhere. It is mostly flat plains, with a few hills because this is Europe and not Nebraska.  Most pilgrims bus across the meseta because it lacks interesting landscape and the next big city is Leon. Jess and I have been living in Texas for a year, so we consider the ample, verdant landscape interesting enough. We are doing lots of soul searching...whatever that means. This post is short because there are five people lined up behind me to use the one laptop in the town. Important updates so far: Jess and I have successfully eaten 1kg of chorizo and we will probably have eat 2kg by the time the week ends. Jess has also invested in silicon earplugs to block out the loud snores of old men. Last important update, I turned 24 yesterday on the camino. Jess bought me a piece of cake, bought all of my coffee and beer for the day, and wished me happy birthday early in the morning. I couldn´t have had a better day. I really proved my 24 years by walking 20km on the actual day and then waking up and walking 30km the next day. Life is quite wonderful.
View of Burgos from the hill with the Castle: this sight seeing was done before any of the cafes had opened in Burgos.

Eating Sopa Castellana to warm up in Burgos.

Walking to Hontana, entering the plains

Afternoon in Hontana

More wandering in Hontana

Walking on the meseta

After lunch at St. Nicholas Hermitage. A lovely old albergue surrounded by rosemary

This picture is for the lover of all things bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment