Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cooking paprika

I am a sucker for bold flavors. I'm guilty of using too
much garlic; where two cloves suffice, I will use four. I usually coarsely chop garlic instead of mincing it because I eat my meals looking for the next lightly roasted clove. My heavy hand also pertains to spices. Though, I'm happy to say I was vindicated when watching Made in Spain with Jose Andres, because that man also uses heaping amounts of paprika, garlic, olive oil and peppers.

Last night's dinner was an ode to Jose Andres and paprika as well as fresh sweet corn. I made a variation of one of my favorite dishes, garlicked shrimp, in which shrimp is cooked in olive oil and about 10 cloves of garlic, and topped off with a squeeze of lemon and fresh parsley. For once in my life I skipped the garlic but compensated with paprika.

Shrimp with paprika

1 bag of frozen shrimp
1 HEAPING tablespoon of paprika (this probably comes out to 1.5 tablespoon of paprika)
1/2 onion chopped
1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
1/2 bottle of beer
1/4 cup olive oil
salt, pepper

1. Defrost the shrimp in a bowl of water. Lightly dry before using.
2. In a large frying pan (I used a wok...it's what was on hand), heat olive oil and add the onions, half of the parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. Heat until the onions start to soften and the paprika is aromatic.
3. Add the beer and let the liquid mixture come to a simmer. Then add the shrimp and salt and pepper.
4. Cook the shrimp on medium heat until the stripes are pink. Before serving, top the dish with the rest of the chopped parsley.
5. Serve the dish with bread. Eat the shrimp straight out of the pan using bread to soak up the liquid.

1 comment:

  1. You are my inspiration. Please make enough food to share at work.

    ReplyDelete