Sunday, August 1, 2010

Eggplant Extravaganza: Parmigiana Style

I'm not meant to live alone. I cook too much and as a result I buy too much food, or I buy too much food and as a result I cook too much. Certainly too much for one person. On Sunday I couldn't resist going to the farmer's market and buying more vegetables even though I had much of last week's purchase in the crisper. On Sunday I made three different vegetarian dishes, including this potato raita I made as one of my first posts 6 months ago. This time, I added sauteed cucumber (wilted cucumber that needed a face-lift) and less yogurt. I rarely meet a potato salad I don't like, and this one is no exception

Two Sundays ago I succumbed to a buy "three, get the fourth eggplant free" sale thus my first project of the week had to use eggplant. I was inspired by this Diner's Journal set of commentary on Eggplant Parmigiana and used an eggplant parmigiana recipe from a book I'm trying out this month, Trattoria Cooking as a loose guide. I grilled my eggplant and added egg to make the sauce creamier as suggested by Diner's Journal.

Eggplant Parmigiana

4 small eggplants, sliced
1 28oz can of diced stewed tomatoes
1 small onion, diced
2 big cloves garlic, minced
a few leaves of basil and parsley (I used a cube of frozen pesto)
2 eggs
mozzarella cheese, grated or sliced
salt, pepper
olive oil

1.Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Wash and slice the eggplants into medallions. Lay the pieces on a cutting board and lightly sprinkle the slices with salt. Let stand for at least 20 minutes to remove water and bitterness from the eggplant.
2. Dab slices of eggplant with a paper towel to remove the water from the surface. Coat a baking sheet(s) with olive oil, and roast the eggplant slices for 30-40 minutes, turning them halfway through.
3. In a large saute pan over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add the herbs and saute until aromatic. Add the canned tomato with the liquid and add another half can of water. Add salt and pepper and simmer the sauce gently while the eggplant cooks.
4. When the sauce is ready to be used, beat two eggs, slowly pour them into the sauce while stirring quickly. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
5. Once the eggplant is tender, assemble the layers. Coat the bottom of the pyrex dish with a few tablespoons of the sauce to prevent sticking. Cover the pan with one layer of eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat the process until you run out of all ingredients.
6. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to an hour. Let the dish rest for at least 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment